Thursday, July 1, 2010

Goodbabymanship

Soccer is the only professional sport I know of where the players are encouraged to be wimps. Not that Soccer players are wimpy, but when it is an advantage for them to pretend they're hurt, they'll take it.

Makes sense I guess, point fingers and get a penalty kick right in front of the goal... Just doesn't seem very sportsman like. So, I've decided to call this whining, Goodbabymanship. The definition being "a form of bad sportsmanship in which one pretends to be a baby to the referee in order to gain a better standing in a game." In other terms, you are Good at being a baby man.

But no matter what I have said, I've enjoyed watching the World Cup this year, and I suppose it does add another element to the game. It also helps round out the players. Their coaches must have had them take up acting lessons or something, and why not let them use their new found skills in the game, right?

Gotta' be hard for the refs. though. How can you tell when the babies are faking or not? You'd think the refs. would get it when they see the player get up, kick the penalty kick, and play the rest of the game.

Not to practice goodbabymanship myself, I'm not really feeling the pressure the referees are. And that's another thing about Soccer, why do they have all those high speed cameras pointing at so many angles when the refs just blow them all away and decide the call they thought they saw. That's ridiculous! One of two things needs to happen. One, the refs. actually look and see if they judged play correctly (and catch these babymen). Or Two, they need to have less cameras so the fans just blissfully believe the refs calls. If they did one (or both) of these I think there would be a whole lot less riots...in my house.

I don't want to throw any stones; Just pass the babe-chow, baby-man, I'm gonna point my chubby, infant finger at someone else for my problems!

Well, I was thinking I was going to have to be more of a baby in this post considering I was voting for Spain to win at the beginning of the World Cup this year, because I thought they were really good. Well, they weren't. At least at the beginning. Finally they are coming back! But the other teams they would be going up against are teams like Brazil and Argentina. My family was doing sort of a Fantasy Soccer rally this year, so I'll be a good sportsman until then.
I was really disappointed when the US finally lost to Ghana, but my brother had some humorous words about it. "Think about it this way," he said, "If Ghana wins it will make 6 million people are happy, if the US wins, only about three people will be happy." No one watches Soccer here.

Last Sunday my church had a park day, and in honor of the FIFA we played Soccer. (The spectators were as numerous as the people who watch Soccer in the United States.) Man, I wish I was in better shape, or had taken those acting lessons...I was sore. But I'm not sure how acting lessons would have cured the pain.

Oh well, I have said my 5 bits on Soccer. Let's hope I don't have to do it again. Or else I might practice Goodbabymanship.
Sorry about all the negative space in the drawing. And yes, that probably is the worst Soccer ball I have ever drawn.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Nice. The dramatic performances of injured soccer players worldwide needed a word to sum them up easily. Goodbabymanship is as good as it gets.
I thought our game only had one spectator...? And he probably was more a part of the game than he wanted to be...