Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"But what comes from the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this is what defiles a person." -Matt. 15:18

One more thought from the Together 2010 conference, and I hope there are more posts to come about it.

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ -by grace you have been saved- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus," -Eph. 2:4-6

"Whatever we value, we will grow to be like." This was one of the first statements spoken by Dr. Bruce Ware at the conference, but though it stuck with me, it didn't hold the same weight at the beginning of Together 2010 as it does a whole day after the conference's termination.
Joyfully anticipating the conference, I had missed the areas of indwelling sin that were alive and active in my heart.

The following day, after hearing that Dr. Ware speak that statement, during the corporate worship time a short video was played, which was done to a powerful song written by some of our Church family in the Pasadena. I had seen the video several times, and as it began was unmoved by the depictions of the areas of sin I had chosen to follow - until there was a picture of the prodigal child embracing her sin in the form of a demonic being. "Have I been doing this?" I thought. And after reviewing my notes from the first sermon I looked on, "Whatever we value, we will grow to be like."

In the first session, Dr. Ware went over a powerful passage in Isaiah 6, where in Isaiah is before and beholding the power and glory of God. Bruce Ware talked about how we must understand and know God as transcendent- That he is exclusively God. As Mr. Ware intricately and effectively showed the awe of this seen in Isaiah, I felt as though I was in Isaiah's shoes. I was standing before his throne, beholding His glory. And I believe similarly as Isaiah did not recognize his own sin until he was beholding the glory of God, so too did God work in me. As God spoke through Mr. Ware, He spoke into my heart, and I could see that I was embracing my sin, myself, and making myself God.

And like Isaiah, I thought "Woe is me, for I am lost."
"The only thing God owes us," said Dr. Ware, "is eternal condemnation."

"But," he continued, "we must know God as imminent." ...And "the story doesn't end there." God initiated Isaiah's forgiveness. And Mr. Ware reminded us of the words from Ephesians 2, "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ."

Through this conference, Together 2010, I believe God has challenged me to grow in my understanding and knowledge of Him, and my value of him. Because, "whatever we value, we will grow to be like." -I thank God that he is at work in me, and that through His Spirit I could behold a glimpse of Him this weekend.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What an illustration of the wickedness of our hearts, that we can still embrace sin even after we have been saved by grace and the love of our Savior and our God has been revealed to us!! It's truly humbling and, to be honest, quite revolting.

Isn't He so merciful, that He loved us even while we rejected Him, and continues to love us even when we fail?

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His GREAT LOVE with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ.

It reminds me of that song..."and now You see me, through His perfection, as if I'd never done any wrong."

And this other song: "Your goodness found us in the darkness, rescued us and freed us, cleansed us from within. You saved us, freely You forgave us, counted us as righteous, heirs with Your own Son."

Sorry, I'm kind of on a Sovereign Grace music binge right now.

Anyway, the point was that we didn't do anything to earn our salvation, obviously, and that God is so merciful to count us as righteous even as we continue to sin, to lose sight of His glory and majesty and turn to the enticing things of the world. Even when we, like pigs once washed, return to our sin and shame, He rescues us time and again and uses things and people in our lives to reveal our sin so we can repent of it.

Great post. It certainly convicted me. Sorry for the novel.