Friday, April 27, 2012

Vintage

Yesterday I had the privilege of going to the Griffith Observatory in LA, however, I didn't take any pictures of the actual observatory, just the city. I'm not really sure why, but hey, here's another post!


Then I took a pic of this really awesome bush! Oh, and the Hollywood sign is in there too. And speaking of Hollywood...

The Weekly Sketchbook topic this week was Vintage/Retro. I'm not sure if I got a whole lot of retro in there, but I think I did manage to squeeze some vintage. 

I used to and still do love old cartoons. Growing up, my family owned some (and might I add some of the best) Popeye cartoons. The first time I really remember watching Felix the Cat and Betty Boop cartoons was once when I was at a friend's house for a sleepover with my brother. We watched them, while my friend fell asleep. It was a pretty normal sleepover routine at his house. 

I am a little ashamed that I have Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in here, and yet, to date, can't remember ever watching an Oswald cartoon. The story of Oswald is pretty interesting. If you know much about Disney's beginning, this story should be pretty familiar. If you don't, you should really look into it, cuz it has all a good story needs: Great characters, conflict, deception, and the start of the greatest animation company ever to rule the earth (and the naming of the villain from Up). 

This drawing was tons of fun! The concept is pretty close to something I did awhile ago, but never colored. With the success of this one, maybe I'll go back and make it happen. 

Now to go unashame myself and watch some vintage, Paramount, Oswald cartoons...