Monday, January 16, 2012

Moosen




Hey guys! I have been doing a lot of drawing lately; designing for my friend Foster, storyboarding with my friend Eric, and I started a new art blog called The Weekly Sketchbook with my friends! Crazy fun. Check it out here. All of these drawings here are for that blog. And actually the last two drawings, if you haven't figured it out already, are essentially the same one. Using the animation desk that I showed you last time, that has a lightbox, I drew that first red one up, then turned the light on, drew the blue one, and turned the light off, finishing with the graphite one. Traditional animation stuff. Sounds complicated, but it isn't really, except that the red one is done a different sheet of paper than the blue and graphite one.

The first one is Bullwinkle. When I think 'Moose' I immediately thought of him. There is no more famous Moose character in television to date! I remember when my parents first showed me Rocky & Bullwinkle as a kid. Now, when I watch it, I am surprised at how little cartoon there actually is. But, an amazing show nonetheless. You can pretty much watch all of the episodes on Netflix streaming now... and what could make Bullwinkle more memorable than a funky coloring job? Exactly. That's why I did it.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day everybody!

2 comments:

JLiB Jessica said...

Ben, Im gonna be lame and mushy for a second. I am so proud of you. Your drawing skills have really taken off. I am so impressed by your work. I love that you have developed your own style. That is going to be really important in an illustration career which I really think you could pursue if you wanted.

You pretty much rock :)

Ben said...

YoU TOO! I am loving your art work! I especially like how you can take so few lines and create such movement, feeling, and character as the images you create excellently employ positive and negative space to make interest and lost and found lines.
(I am using your work for the zoo as the example.) I LOVE the absolute contrast you put into your work tooooooo!

And for those of you that don't know and who read my blog (all two of you) here's the link to my awesome cousin's blog: http://jlibdesigns.blogspot.com/