Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankfulness is a battle

Return, O my soul, to your rest;
for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
Psalm 116:7

Recently I have really been struggling with self pity which, as all sin, is the worship of self instead of worshiping God. I am not perfect, and the victory seems far away; yet God in his kindness planned it into the heart of the writers of his word, and the people who made the reading plan I am going through to have me read through Psalm 116, and John 16:16-33, along with others. These two sections were particularly helpful in the struggle. Psalm 116:7 really stood out to me as a defense against listening to such lies. Thankfulness is the anti-self pity. Haven't I received everything to be thankful for?

Well, I couldn't end a Thanksgiving post without talking mentioning my annual football ritual. So, it happened again this year. There I mentioned it. Happy Thanksgiving everynutty!

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's a beautiful verse.
Thanks for the reminder.
I don't listen to much that my school's administrator says, but I appreciate at least one statement he made - "we should flip it around so that instead of complaining 364 days out of the year and being thankful for one day, we should have one day a year to get all our complaining out of our systems and then be thankful for the next 364 days."